Beginning in 1985, a rotating night shelter system for homeless individuals operated in churches in Uptown Shelby. At the same time, a rotating five-day-a-week soup kitchen ministry started meeting for lunch in Shelby area churches. By 1990, a permanent homeless shelter was dedicated at 301 North Washington Street in Shelby.
In the year 2000, a local organization agreed to temporarily administer the work of the over-night “Beacon” men’s shelter. However, by 2007, the local organization announced to the city of their intentions to discontinue oversight of the Beacon.
The faith community began conversations in late 2007 to address the larger issues of homelessness in Cleveland County.
In 2009, Michael and Latarsha Gullatte envisioned offering more than a part-time “bed & bread” shelter for the homeless, hopeless and despondent in the community which led to their founding of the (CCRM) Cleveland County Rescue Mission. In addition, the Gullattes assumed management responsibilities of the Beacon.
Their vision to provide 24/7 food, shelter and hope to the homeless, hopeless and despondent was soon realized. CCRM opened the 40 bed main facility for men at 1100 Buffalo Street and its 20 bed women/women with children division (Heart2Heart place) in Shelby, NC.
CCRM serves more than 400 individuals annually with housing, job placement, education, workforce development, and basic resources.
CCRM’s primary mission is to serve the residents of Cleveland County with our maxim to “fix the most broken things.” However, we have served men, women and children primarily from two states and eight counties (North Carolina: Cabarrus, Mecklenburg, Gaston, Lincoln, Cleveland & Rutherfordton. South Carolina: York & Cherokee). In addition to serving long-term program participants throughout the country.